[padb] [padb-devel] Simple Makefile patch

Ashley Pittman ashley at pittman.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 19:40:32 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 14:12 -0500, Ethan Mallove wrote:
> On Mon, Nov/02/2009 07:01:52PM, Ashley Pittman wrote:

> > > Success!
> >
> > Great.  You'll only be able to see the MPI message queues for a
> > application which uses MPI, what you sent is exactly what I'd expect for
> > your test "sleep" application.
>
> hello_c is an MPI application. I added the sleep loop to give me time
> to attach padb to it. Though I thought the minfo.x message queue stuff
> will not work on Solaris, as the dlopen calls haven't been ported to
> Solaris.

Ah, that's different then.  It's not getting as far as the dlopen call,
MPIR_dll_name is the name of a global symbol which contains the filename
to dlopen.

This could either mean that message queue support isn't compiled into
the library or possibly that it is but some more magic is needed in the
gdb_attach() function to load symbols from shared librarys as well as
the actual executable, I'd assume this was working now as it's
displaying stack frames from within the MPI library I assume?

There doesn't appear to be anything in the output of ompi_info here to
say if message queue support is enabled or not which could mean that it
always is.

One final thing you could try is to look for the dll itself, on my
system it's in $OMPI_INSTALL_PREFIX=/lib/openmpi/libompi_dbg_msgq.so  If
you do have this file then you can give it's full path to padb and it
won't look at the symbol for it.  I have to use the option
-Ompi-dll=/mnt/home/debian/ashley/code/OpenMPI/trunk-raw/install/lib/openmpi/libompi_dbg_msgq.so

Ashley.

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.

http://padb.pittman.org.uk