[padb] Release plans/roadmap.

Ashley Pittman ashley at pittman.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 19:10:57 GMT 2009

Apparently you can't have a proper software product without a published
road map so below are the release plans for the next release of padb.

The recent additions of allowing "mpirun" as a resource manager, Solaris
support and adding variables to tree based stack traces are to my mind
enough to justify a release on their own so I propose to wait no longer
than until the current batch of ideas are implemented.  Allowing a
couple of weeks for the code to settle this makes the best guess for the
date of a 3.1 feature release some time early in the new year, most
likely towards the end of February.

I'd like to get the following issues addressed, be they bug fixes, new
features or general improvements to the package as a whole:

* Better threading support in stack traces (I've emailed about this
separately)

* Any new resource manager support from Bull

* Proper RPM/deb packaging

* Installation of minfo.x into $PREFIX/usr/lib/padb/

* Message queues being displayed by padb rather than minfo.  Padb will
still use minfo but rather than forward it's output directly padb will
parse the minfo output and then re-format this into something which
makes sense to the user.

* In-network reduce of collective state for deadlock detection.

* Adding a "Relay" option to allow padb to launch the inner processes
via a means other than the in-use resource manager.  none, pdsh, ssh and
orte are likely candidates for relay modes.

* Fixing some Quadrics bugs, mostly finding the install location of edb
and calculation of the shared memory key.

* Any other bug fixes that come along.

If anyone has other suggestions or problems they'd like to see addressed
before the next release I'd be keen to hear them.

Ashley,

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.

http://padb.pittman.org.uk