[padb-users] PADB and multiple resource managers

Ashley Pittman ashley at pittman.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 20:14:58 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 17:47 +0100, Daniel Kidger wrote:
> hmm
>
> consider if you have LSF and RMS running below it. Then the parallel
> job could be found from either.

This is why I say padb should only automatically choose between multiple
resource managers if only one of them has active jobs, in the scenario
you describe it would refuse to run and require the user to specify a
resource manager.

> Does this matter ?  hopefully not - unless going by one route has any
> extra functionality compared to the other

Yes, you don't want the same job targeted twice.  I view this as
something of a special case, if a cluster does have multiple RM's and
padb doesn't know the relationship between then then I'd expect the
administrator to set which one to use in padb.conf at which point this
becomes a non-issue.

> Also is always scanning all RMs potentially slow?

Slower than not doing so although it already scans the selected RM to
query jobs or verify the selected one is indeed running so "not very" is
probably the correct answer here.

Ashley,

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.