[padb-users] Intel Compiler support on PADB?

Ashley Pittman ashley at pittman.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 18:10:17 GMT 2010

On 2 Dec 2010, at 05:31, Jie Cai wrote:

> Dear Ashley,
>
> PADB currently uses gdb to get stack trace. While we have quite a few pre-compiled programs with Intel compilers. For level 2 optimization (default) of Intel compilers, %ebp is often cleared and stored at other place. In this case, gdb has difficulty to trace the stack properly.
>
> I am wondering will PADB utilize idb as an command line option in the short future ?

No, padb integrates quite closely with gdb so this would be a significant amount of work, in particular padb uses the "MI" interface to gdb which I don't believe idb emulates?

What would be possible is to add a hook to allow idb to be used to query individual processes for their stack trace, like the -X option (show_full_stack line 8875) which would allow you to see the information for individual processes, padb would not be able to parse this output though so you'd have to do it on a per-process basis after discovering the interesting processes with the standard stack trace viewer.

Ashley.

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.

http://padb.pittman.org.uk